Investor Stream Subclass 188B Visa
The Investor Stream 188B Visa is a temporary visa for applicants who are willing to undertake ongoing investment activity in Australia, starting with a $AU1.5m investment into Government bonds for 4 years.
Applicants must also be nominated by a State or Territory Government and satisfy the usual health and character criteria.
How do I qualify for the Investor Stream Subclass 188B Visa?
To be eligible to apply for this visa, applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Not be aged over 55 at the time of invitation to apply for the visa or are proposing to establish or participate in business or investment activity deemed of exceptional economic benefit by the nominating State or Territory Government
- Be nominated by an Australian State or Territory Government, with a designated investment into the nominating State or Territory of at least $1.5m
- Demonstrate a previous record of successful eligible investment or qualifying business activity, and be able to demonstrate a high level of management skill in relation to the proposed eligible investment or qualifying business activity
- Meet a score of 65 on the business innovation and investment points test
- Have had a total of at least 3 years prior experience of direct involvement managing one or more eligible investment or qualifying business activity
- For at least 1 of the 5 immediate previous fiscal years, before the time of invitation to apply for the visa:
- Have maintained direct involvement in managing a qualifying business, with at least a 10% ownership interest or maintained direct involvement in managing eligible investments owned by yourself
- The total value of eligible investments was at least $AU1.5m
- For 2 fiscal years immediately before the time of invitation to apply for the visa, have combined business and personal assets with a net value of at least $AU2.25m, which were lawfully acquired and available to transfer to Australia within 2 years of the visa grant
- No history of involvement in business or investment activities that are generally not acceptable in Australia
- Applicant and accompanying family members must meet standard health and character criteria
What this visa will allow you to do:
- Invest in a government bond with the nominating Australian State or Territory goverment
- Work and study in Australia, for the life of the visa (4 years)
- Bring immediate family members, who may also work and study
- Travel to and from Australia for the life of the visa (4 years)
- Be eligible to apply for Permanent residency, through the Subclass 888 Visa after the 4 years if select criteria are met
How do I apply for the Investor Stream Subclass 188B Visa?
Applicants must first be nominated by an Australian State or Territory Government. Note that each State or Territory Government may have vary requirements.
Applicants then need to lodge an Expression of Interest (EOI) with the Department of Home Affairs, and will then be invited to apply for the visa.
If the visa is granted, holders will be eligible to apply for permanent residency through the Subclass 888 Visa after the 4 years if select criteria are met.
How do I qualify for the Permanent Residence Subclass 888 Visa?
Before being eligible to apply for the Permanent Residence subclass 888 visa, applicants must have been in Australia as a holder of a 188A visa(s) for a total period of at least 2 of the 4 years before applying.
Applicants must also:
- have had or continue to have an ownership interest in at least 1 actively operating main business in Australia during these 2 years
- Meet 2 of the following 3 criteria, unless exceptional circumstances apply, in the 12 months prior to applying for permanent residency:
- You (or your spouse or de facto partner together) held/hold assets in an Australian business(es) of at least $AU200,000
- You (or your spouse or de facto partner together) held/hold assets in an Australian business(es) combined with personal assets of at least $AU600,000
- Your Australian business(es) have at least 2 full time employees
- The applicants Australian business(es) must also have had a turnover of at least $AU300,000 in 12 months prior to applying for permanent residency
- Continue to demonstrate that no history of involvement in business or investment activities that are generally not acceptable in Australia
- The nominating Australian State or Territory has not withdrawn the application
- You (and your spouse or de facto partner) have a satisfactory record of compliance with Commonwealth laws and in the place in Australia where the business is held, including laws relating to taxation, superannuation and workplace relations
The government charges for visa applications can be found here.
Which visa is right for you?
Contact us at the Point Migration Agency team office or submit a query online
The Business Innovation Stream Visa is a temporary visa for applicants who are willing to either establish a new business or buy into an existing business in Australia, and willing to live in Australia while undertaking a role running the business.
The Significant Business History Stream Visa is a Permanent Residency Visa for business owners or part owners wishing to do business in Australia and willing to make a business investment of $AU1.5m to $5m or higher.
The Venture Capital Entrepreneur Stream is a Permanent Residency Visa for applicants who have sourced venture capital funding of at least $AU1m from a member of The Private Equity Australian Venture Capital Association Limited.