Significant Investor Stream Subclass 188C Visa
The Significant Investor Stream 188C Visa is a temporary visa for applicants who are willing to invest at least $AU5m in Australia, with the intention to continue to maintain investment activity after the original investment matures.
Applicants must also be nominated by a State or Territory Government and satisfy the usual health and character criteria.
How do I qualify for the Significant Investor Stream Subclass 188C Visa?
To be eligible to apply for this visa, applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Make complying investments of at least $AU5m, including a mix of funds in:
- Growth Private Equity Funds of at least $AU1.5m
- Venture Capital Funds of at least $AU500,000
- Balancing investments (eg authorized managed funds) of at least $AU3m
- Be nominated by an Australian State or Territory Government agency
- Able to demonstrate invested funds were unencumbered and lawfully acquired
- Demonstrate a genuine intention to hold the complying investments for at least 4 years
- No history of involvement in business or investment activities that are generally not acceptable in Australia
- Applicant and accompanying family members must meet standard health and character criteria
What this visa will allow you to do:
- Invest in complying investments which are specified by the Australian Government, and maintain them for at least 4 years
- Work and study in Australia, for the life of the visa (4 years)
- Bring immediate family members, who may also work and study
- Travel to and from Australia for the life of the visa (4 years)
- Be eligible to apply for Permanent residency, through the Subclass 888 Visa after the 4 years if select criteria are met
How do I apply for the Significant Investor Stream Subclass 188C Visa?
Applicants must first be nominated by an Australian State or Territory Government. Note that each State or Territory Government may have vary requirements.
Applicants then need to lodge an Expression of Interest (EOI) with the Australian Immigration department, and will then be invited to apply for the visa.
If the visa is granted, holders will be eligible to apply for permanent residency through the Subclass 888 Visa after the 4 years if select criteria are met.
How do I qualify for the Permanent Residence Subclass 888 Visa?
Before being eligible to apply for the Permanent Residence subclass 888 visa, applicants must have been in Australia as a holder of a 188A visa(s) for a total period of at least 2 of the 4 years before applying.
Applicants must also:
- have had or continue to have an ownership interest in at least 1 actively operating main business in Australia during these 2 years
- Meet 2 of the following 3 criteria, unless exceptional circumstances apply, in the 12 months prior to applying for permanent residency:
- You (or your spouse or de facto partner together) held/hold assets in an Australian business(es) of at least $AU200,000
- You (or your spouse or de facto partner together) held/hold assets in an Australian business(es) combined with personal assets of at least $AU600,000
- Your Australian business(es) have at least 2 full time employees
- The applicants Australian business(es) must also have had a turnover of at least $AU300,000 in 12 months prior to applying for permanent residency
- Continue to demonstrate that no history of involvement in business or investment activities that are generally not acceptable in Australia
- The nominating Australian State or Territory has not withdrawn the application
- You (and your spouse or de facto partner) have a satisfactory record of compliance with Commonwealth laws and in the place in Australia where the business is held, including laws relating to taxation, superannuation and workplace relations
The government charges for visa applications can be found here.
Which visa is right for you?
Contact us at the Point Migration Agency team office or submit a query online
The Business Innovation Stream Visa is a temporary visa for applicants who are willing to either establish a new business or buy into an existing business in Australia, and willing to live in Australia while undertaking a role running the business.
The Significant Business History Stream Visa is a Permanent Residency Visa for business owners or part owners wishing to do business in Australia and willing to make a business investment of $AU1.5m to $5m or higher.
The Venture Capital Entrepreneur Stream is a Permanent Residency Visa for applicants who have sourced venture capital funding of at least $AU1m from a member of The Private Equity Australian Venture Capital Association Limited.