Generally, applications for Australian Visas need to be accompanied by evidence that the applicant possesses sufficient proficiency in the English language.
There are a number of tests and results which are acceptable to the Department of Home Affairs (DHA) when lodging and application, which must have been taken at most two years prior to the application lodgment date.
Which English Language tests are accepted by the Department of Home Affairs?
- International English Language Testing System (IELTS Test)
- Test of English as a Foreign Language internet-based test (TOEFL iBT)
- Cambridge English: Advanced (CAE) test
- Pearson Test of English Academic (PTE)
- Occupational English Test (OET)
The relevant test level scores can be found on the Department of Home Affairs (DHA) website.
Applicants should refer to the relevant visa information for specific information.
Are there are ways an applicant can demonstrate proficient English Language ability?
Aside from the tests listed above, there are a number of ways in which an applicant can demonstrate proficiency in the English Language.
These include if an applicant has any of the following:
- A valid passport and is a citizen of any of the following five countries:
- United Kingdom
- United States of America
- New Zealand
- Republic of Ireland
- Has completed all years of primary school education and at least three years of secondary education in or outside of Australia, where all instructions were given in English
- Has completed at least five years of secondary education in or outside of Australia, where all instructions were given in English
- Has successfully completed at least one year of full-time study, or equivalent part-time study, towards a degree, higher degree, diploma or associate diploma, in an Australian institution, where all instructions were given in English
- Has completed a degree, higher degree, diploma or trade certificate, which required at least two years of full time study or training in an institution in or outside of Australia, where all instructions were given in English
What is the English language requirement for the Significant Investor visa?
There is no English language threshold requirement for applicants for the Significant Investor Visa.
However, any dependents included on the application, who are over the age of 18 years old and unable to demonstrate functional English language ability must pay a second instalment of the visa application charge.
Find out more information about the Significant Investor Visa here.
Can I submit an EOI if I have not yet completed an English Language test?
Anything which is needed to submit an EOI, such as English language test, skills assessment or job ready program (if applicable) must be completed at the time of submitting your EOI.
These documents do not need to be attached to your EOI, however all information must be entered accurately to match the supporting documents.
How Point Migration Agency can help
Point Migration Agency is a registered migration agency and is authorised to provide you with migration help and advice. We’re also able to help guide you through the English Language test process, as well as recommending institutions to help you further your language skills and successfully pass the test. To find out more, or discuss which Australian Visa you may be eligible to apply for please contact us to make an appointment.