Prospective Marriage Visa

Prospective Marriage Visa Subclass 300

Prospective Marriage Visa Subclass 300 allows fiancés of Australian citizens, Australian permanent residents or eligible New Zealand citizens, to enter Australia for 9 months to marry their fiancés. These are temporary visas only and can only be applied for by offshore applicants.

Within the 9 month period, the applicant must marry their fiancé. If the married couple decides to remain in Australia, then then applicant must then apply for a Partner Visa. These can only be applied for after marriage, and upon successful application will allow the applicant to remain in Australia permanently.

How do I qualify for a Prospective Marriage Visa?

To be eligible to apply for this visa, applicants must be engaged to be married to either an Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident or an eligible New Zealand citizen.

Both the applicant and the sponsor must be at least 18 years old.

Evidence Requirements

Applicants must also provide evidence of the following:

  • That they personally know their fiancé
  • That they have physically met their fiancé, since turning 18 years old
  • That they will marry their fiancé within the 9 month period
  • That both the applicant and their fiancé will live in a genuine, committed and ongoing relationship

Note: this visa must be applied for outside of Australia, and the applicant must also be offshore at the time of the visa grant.

All applicants must also meet the relevant health and character requirements by providing evidence such as:

  • Medical clearance(s)
  • Australian and International Police Checks

What this visa allows you to do:

Prospective Marriage Visas allow the applicant to temporarily enter Australia for a 9 month period, before marrying their fiancé.

Successful visa holders can:

  • Travel in and out of Australia
  • Work and study in Australia, with no restrictions

After marriage, the applicant can then apply for a Partner Visa.

Partner Visa (Subclasses 820/801 and 309/100)

The Partner Visa can be applied for either onshore or offshore of Australia, and applicants must meet the requirements of the Visa in order to obtain a successful visa grant.

There are two stages to this visa: temporary and permanent. Applicants must first apply for the temporary visa, which they will remain on for two years. 2 years after the grant of the temporary visa, applicants may then apply for permanent residency, and will need to provide evidence that the relationship is both genuine and ongoing.

For more information visit our page on Partner Visas here.

Visa Charges

The government charges for visa applications can be found here.

Our Services

Which visa is right for you?

Contact us at the Point Migration Agency team office or submit a query online

The best company ever!!! I’m finally an Australian resident, and I have to thank you guys for the huge support that you gave me to achieve this dream!!! Thanks to the amazing knowledge of Elizabeth, I’ve applied in the easiest way ever and after exactly 9 months I’m officially a permanent resident!!! Thanks guys!

Recent Posts
De Facto Visa
De-Facto Relationship Visa

If you are in a de facto relationship with an Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen, then you may be eligible for a Partner Visa on the basis of their sponsorship.

Read More »
Looking for expert visa advice?